Wednesday 28 February 2018

Ankers Sweater

My Ankers sweater is finished;what a quick and easy knit with perfect sizing. It is a petite pattern therefore I made the largest size. I held 4ply yarn double on 4.5mm needles for the body to get the gauge. The yoke is super stretchy so it feels so comfortable. I knit the sleeves on 5mm DPN's to make them extra stretchy too.


I started it on the 10th January and it was on my back by Sunday the 20th of February after an overnight wet block which loosened up the whole feel of it. The pattern is top down meaning I could try it on and get the exact sleeve and hem length I wanted creating the perfect fit. 


It is warm, really warm, to wear. I used 500g or 1720 metres of yarn. It is Araucania Luxury merino blend 4ply which my neighbour gave to me because she has been suffering from carpal tunnel in her hand so she has stopped yarn work. She shifted some wool over to me - very nice it was too! I kept two yarn cakes in my basket and pulled them from the middle which was a good way to stop the yarn snarling up.

I made one modification. I have big hips and I don't like sweaters stretching across my widest part so I achieved the length I wanted and then spilt it front and back on straight needles. I continued to add a few more rows in stocking stitch then finished with the rib making little side splits. 



This is a great pattern. It has only recently been translated into English. The raglan shaping is not totally clear but if you click on my project on ravelry I have given details of my version of this part of the sweater. I made it as easy as possible. If I could swatch it again with some aran, I would give it another go in the future.


Thanks for stopping by. As warm as this sweater is, I was freezing today; stay warm out there. We are expecting snow tomorrow and Friday in the Midlands. Jo xxxx 

12 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous sweater, the colours are wonderful and a great photo shoot too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely sweater and a great colour which really suits you. We already have the snow, was hoping it would miss us again but I guess not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a snow day here, kids and grown-ups and all (except my evening online tutorial, that is on). Your jumper is really nice, the colours are perfect for you. I don't believe for a second that you have big hips! I love knitting top down most of all. Stay warm and cosy xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pleased to say that there is no snow here and none expected. Such a gorgeous jumper, it looks amazing and the colour such a delight. You look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great modification Jo, I am not fond of anything across my hips or waist. I am all about the tunic. Love the sweater and the color, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! I love how it looks on you. The yarn is beautiful. I like your modification, it fits you so nicely. My hips/butt are the one part of me that isn't very big, but my middle is so I understand the feeling you don't like. I hate tight-waisted things and avoid them like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so lovely. I really like the style and the colour is great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your jumper Jo, lovely colour and you did a good job with your alterations. I always have to alter patterns if I make anything for me. Just short of 6' I need length in the sleeve and body, obvious in the leg for trousers / jeans too. Not that I've made them but... I resent having to pay Long Tall Sally prices. With everyone discussing the weather today, we have snow in Lincolnshire today. Both teens are off school and college today and tomorrow. They actually went out for a walk on their own today, lol. They're usually stuck with some electronics either xbox, phone or pc. Mind you, they took photos and videos with their phone. Oh well. Have a good week, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a pretty jumper. A great colour on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Great fit, the side splits are genius.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Plz written pattern...it's lovely..

    ReplyDelete